The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Friday, February 3, 2012

Can I get an AMEN?

People who  have a mission just walk a little different.  They talk with a purpose and are overly concerned with details, because they believe it matters.  I work for an amazing church that has grown from 50 people to over 3200 in 8 years.  Everyday I get an up close and personal view to see lives change.  We have volunteers and passionate staff who are some of the most talented and committed people I have ever met.

I don't normally write on Fridays, but I am fired up today.  Fired up becuase I know the greatest mission on the planet...Jesus.  The following conversation is one of the most impactful moments in my experience at Waters Edge Church and it's Friday. Why is that significant? While most of our Sunday staff do not work on Fridays, our mission doesn't take a day off...

I was at one of our campuses dropping off some supplies for Sunday and our cleaning lady was there, finishing up the men's room, her AM/FM radio tuned to a preacher shouting "Can I get an AMEN?!"  I gave my usual Friday greeting of "Hey there, Miss Valerie!" She waved back.  As we worked, we chatted.  Then she said:

"This is a beautiful building.  You all do so much for these people."
Me: We love it.  It's all worth it on Sunday!
"I am part of it too!  Here I am wiping baby hand prints off the windows, but it's good they are here."

Do you get it?!  She gets it!  She knows the reason why those hand prints are there is because there were people in this place on Sunday!  She feels part of changing people's lives on Sundays while she's cleaning up bathrooms, vacuuming doughnut crumbs, and wiping down windows during the week.  While she is taking out a garbage bag full of coffee cups, dirty diapers and mint wrappers, she is thinking about the people God is changing!  Do YOU get it?

When she cleaned our building the week of spontaneous Baptism, she paved the way for 399 people to make a significant decision.  Those decisions changed lives, changed families, and will change a community!

She gets it.

What's your mission?  What is your excuse for not having one?  This isn't soft serve ice cream people, this is about God and it's about getting a mission.

Think better. Feel Better. Live Better.

No comments: