The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Pursuit Requires Endurance


Eight months from those first ideas scribbled in a notebook, Thirty days to contemplate, plan, and anticipate...20 hours and 15 minutes into the New Year and I am enjoying the bittersweet taste of a slice of humble pie.



Occasionally, actually more times than I'd like to admit, I have a stroke of genius that doesn't see the light of day. I do a lot of thinking, visualizing, and planning. This past year, I finally began to take some changes. 2011 was all about risk and taking some bold steps toward a realized dream. Truthfully my last post of the year was all about making it reality! Time with family and myself way from the hustle of making other dreams happen has an interesting way of proving just the appropriate dose of reality. I realiazed I was trying to microwave my dream! The decision was still on to begin fast-frying my life's calling. Seems silly now, but at 12:39pm today, it wasn't such a pleasant bite to swallow. But the truth is this- you cannot microwave a dream. Dreams need to slow cook, marinate. They need time.


Over the past several weeks I read a devotion about endurance: "Remember that God's blessings are found not only in "great possessions", but also in suffering and delay." As a runner, I can appreciate the word endurance, it must be built up over time, it takes patience, dedication, intention, and purpose. It requires a goal, planning, and preparation.


I could see the top of the mountain, but forgot about the climb.


God knows what lies on the other side of our mountain. Endurance gives us the discipline to ensure the mountain is ours to climb and we learn from it along the way.


There are a few more cuts to be made into this stone mountain to release the masterful work I am called to do. The year has just begun. Have you found your mountain? What step are you taking to make the first cut in 2012?

No comments: