The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Art of Adaptability

If there is one thing certain in this life it is change, yet it drives fear into the hearts of many. What is it about this word which causes such unrest? and why do some seem to seek it out?

I grew up in a military household, what this meant for my childhood was as soon as we felt comfortable, change would surely find us. This meant six new neighborhoods, six different houses, seven schools...six times my family was asked to Pull up our roots and settled back down make new friends and re-establish a normal life while my Dad spent months, even entire year away from us. Looking back on those years, of course I recall tears shared by friends, that pit in my stomach before walking in to homeroom, wondering if I would sit next to acceptance or rejection for the next 180 days.

What my adult mind knows, which my preteen mind could not begin to fathom or appreciate, is "change is good." In those 13 years, I learned the Art of Adaptability. I came to understand nothing lasts forever, you have to be ready at a moment's notice when fate comes knocking had at your door, and the environment and it's inhabitants are a pliable material poised and ready for the impact you will make on it.

Granted, my experience is unique and limited to those circumstances to which I was exposed at a young age, however I do know this: we've but a limited time in this place. A single chance to make such an impact that it staggers a community, shakes our complacency, and demands the world pause and take notice. You don't know where you'll be tomorrow, when you'll be called to pack your bags and follow the movement. Do know that your life has purpose and your capacity to adapt determines your impact.

No comments: