The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Released from the Stone

When the roughing out is done, the angel begins to release from the stone.

Over the course of the past two years, I have come to approach my life as one large block of marble, hence the concept behind my blog and the past several months of writing, hashing out of ideas, sketching, mapping, and taking a journey deep into the world of "what if" and "what could be".  The enjoyment of it all is not having the pressure to be productive in the pursuit.  I am free to explore ideas, find nuances and niches my own mind could not fathom previously.  I was in a dark corner for so long that when the day finally came to be released from my own solitude, I broke free from the mold!  The journey to discovering freedom beyond my imagination to be comfortable in my own thoughts is overwhelming and exhilarating.  I liken it to walking barefoot in the grass in late spring, digging in the sand at the beach and feeling the first waves crash on your skin, or my personal favorite, the first day of 70 degree weather when the windows are rolled down, the radio is cranked, and the open road is calling your name.

I did not know where this journey would take me, but I knew where I was could not get me there.  I took a risk. I stepped off the edge and ran boldly toward a faint glimpse of a dream.  Along the way, there are disappointments, mistakes, and lessons to be learned, yet at each step I gain confidence and strength to pursue a clearer vision.

It begins in our thoughts.  In those still moments, when in between each breathe a voice speaks.  What is it telling you?  The thunderous beat of your heart adds an exclamation point to every word.  Those quiet moments form the foundation for your creation, your dream, your own masterpiece.  How do you respond when the voice is telling you "You can't!" I let that voice win over my quiet moments. I let it convince me I wasn't good enough, that someone more talented, gifted, unique would do it better. The only person between me and a new day...was me.

A masterpiece is not an instant success. My first step out of darkness took 29 years! There were days when I wanted to run back to what I knew, to hear the voice tell me the truth again, but the voice got quiet, the dark corner faded in the distance.  The more I focused on where I was going, the less I ran in to barriers. The steps get smoother and with each day comes a deeper understanding and a clearer vision of what my creation will be.

Are you still looking back? Is the voice too loud for you today? If you took one step out today, where would it take you? 

No comments: