The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Perspective and Legacy

 

View

The first stop on our family trip was to Pennsylvania.  My Dad owns a small farm in a rural town right outside Pittsburg.  They moved there right after I graduated from high school.  During my college years, I spent many hours sitting on a swing staring at this majestic view.  In those quiet moments, I found inner peace just watching clouds pass by an expansive horizon. 

So often we get caught up in the web of frustration, wound tightly around our worries.  What would it look like in your life to surrender to the solace waiting for you in a quiet moment, left open to the Master’s hand to create masterful work in your life?  If God created a small piece of 15 acres with beauty so breathtaking it could move a hurting, hardened heart to be still, imagine the movement He is waiting to create in you.

Sitting in that same swing this past week with my daughter and son, listening to their laughter and watching their faces smile with excitement as they talked about their next outdoor adventure, I remembered days when I was joined on that swing by my own mother.  We sat and planned my wedding, talked about the impending birth of her first grandchild. 

Those moments are pieces of a lifetime mosaic of a legacy I will one day leave for my own children, just as my mother left memories and moments I will treasure forever.  As the three of us walked to her gravestone this week, we talked about who she was and how much she lives on in our hearts.  She continues to cast light into our lives – that was her legacy.  What will be yours?

 

tombstone

No comments: