The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Personal Mission Statements

I was so excited to find a quote today that reminded me of why I do what I do.  Before I share it with you, we need to uncover the essence of what my WHY is really all about.  A few years ago, while I was trudging through life's tangled web of loose threads finding out who I was, I attended a workshop in which we developed a personal mission statement.  The excersize was intense, but the truth I found in one simple phrase changed the course and direction of my life. 

A few simple lines of text, a lifetime of peeling back layers
What is your WHY?  What makes you get up every morning? What makes you push aside the negative daily to pursue your dream?
I was not able to answer these questions very clearly until I really started identifying the parts of my life that really mattered.  I began asking, "What do I want my life to look like five years from now? At the end of today, how will I know if I am closer to my goals?" I was ready to face the truth that some choices I was making were acutally preventing me from even stepping near my goals...let's face it, some of them kept me so far away that I really wasn't sure what the goals were anymore.  When I made the decision that today just wasn't good enough and tomorrow was not soon enough to make changes, I pushed yesterday out of my way and took some steps forward.  Yesterday was a bully who just kept telling me I wasn't going to get there and that I was going to have to get through him first, well he was right I did have to get through him...the truth is I had to realize that it already happened, YESTERDAY!

The Truth Hurts
It is painful being honest with yourself.  Especially when you are your toughest critic.  I learned that forgiveness of your own mess and incompleteness is the most painful, frustrating, and gnarly experience you will ever endure.  But you are not alone because there is a peace on the other side and a path of freedom ready to take you to the next level of finding out who you really are ready to be!

My Mission Statement:

To bring integrity, passion, and understanding to the world through the tangible outpourings of a generous spirit.

 art.com is one of my favorite "Likes" on Facebook for their posts of the lives and works of some really great artistic contributions. Today's post was about Sol LeWitt. The artist was not impaired visually, however, he understood that in order to communicate vision, others have to see what you see and how you see it.  His artistic process: He would provide assistants with only written instructions for producing his artwork.

"A blind man can make art if what is in his mind can be passed to another mind in some tangible form." Sol LeWitt (1928 - 2007)
Do you have a personal mission statement?  Share it!  Tell me what wakes you up in the morning? What gets your heart on fire?

No comments: