The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Discipline: Focus on the target

I am not an expert in the field of discipline, however I have seen its benefits in my work, my family, and my personal growth.  Every leader needs a target, something to focus on to move forward.  My daughter (age 6 1/2) and I have spent a great deal of time over the last week or so discussing "perseverance".  It is very difficult to recover when we get disappointed.  Even more of an obstacle is ignoring the voice inside our heads telling us we aren't good enough, smart enough, or tough enough to ensure the pressure. (I really don't care for this voice...in fact, we battle it out daily)


Laser focus on a target
What wakes me up every morning and excites me about tomorrow is another day to dream and do something that moves me closer to reaching my goals. I have my sights set on starting my own non-profit, writing (and publishing) a book, as well as being an outstanding wife and mother. Every decision I make over the course of the day should move me closer to one of these aspirations.


Failure is just a side step to a better way
I've said it before: Life doesn't have an eraser. We live with our mistakes, but they do not dictate how we live...we make that choice. You can choose to let the mistake be an obstacle or a catalyst. When one of my lasers is slightly of target, something suffers and one of my goals gets temporarily fuzzy or blocked. My kids will be the first ones to tell you that I don't get it right even close to all of the time. (Apparently this is one of those great truths that they hide from you in the pregnancy books.) As dreamers, leaders, parents, people, we maneuver through disappointment, frustration, and impatience when looking at our dreams. It is easier to let these weigh us down on or distract us from the path to success.  Refocus the lens! Get a clear look at what you must do to overcome: Do you need some accountability? A new idea? Some fresh prespective?  For me, I needed to surround myself with other un-perfect parents, interestingly enough I knew a few.  The day will come when we reach the top of the mountain and look back on the journey; we will appreciate those obstacles because they made the journey significant and better than we expected.


Stay the course. There will always be another mountain. Enjoy your walk today: Savor your thoughts, experience the joy of breathing, and do something (no matter how small) to make your dream a reality.

No comments: