The unapologetic, raw, unedited interpretation of living life. Each of us is the artist of our own life, constantly remolding, reworking, and roughing out the details and applying what we've learned to the changing canvas. There are no do-overs, no take backs...just rough cuts that release what lies inside us.

I saw the angel in stone and I carved until I set him free. - Michelangelo

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Unpacking the Tool Box - 1

My first real art project I recall from my childhood was a life sized leprechaun in Kindergarten.  What I remember most about it, besides the awkward size and vast amount of green, was the amount of extras I added: rings, facial features, decorative buttons, eyeshadow...the works!  When I looked at it next to the other five year old-sized leprechauns, I was envious of how simple and well patterned some looked compared to my own "bedazzled" version.  For most of my childhood, my artwork seemed to reflect this need to include every material available to me in my work.  I am sure my mother never had to ask what materials we were given to make a project, it was all there!  And Glitter?!  Oh forget it, that could be an entire subject heading.  Maybe we'll hang on to that for later.

What seemed to follow immediately after this gorging of art supplies, was remorse, guilt, a feeling that I should have been more selective, more diligent in planning.  This is exactly what began to follow, as many young artists begin to mature in their style and taste, so did my overzealous resource usage.  I now monitored color, pattern, and glittery adornments and thought about placement before the glue hit the page.  I now had a plan.

I find this trickles over into who I became as a leader and how I lived my life, wanting it ALL!  Why would I want to say No? it would mean concentrating on one skill, honing just a few things to really become something magnificent.  It made more sense early on to be good at many things so I could be the go to person for anyone who asked.  This, like the bedazzled leprechaun, leads to wishing I had a better plan.

Artistic Leaders have a plan, something to ground them.  They have a vision for what will be and are able to adapt to changes and incorporate them into the final piece.  They do not scrap the idea if it isn't going according to plan, instead they manipulate the resources and fashion them accordingly to the structure that holds it all together.  We'll call this the armature - n// the internal frame or skeleton which supports a modelled sculpture.  Without a foundation, a sculpture has nothing to keep it erect, without this internal structure, the form would crumble and possibly topple to its demise.  Leaders know they need some framework, something to cling to and reference if a plan goes awry.

Do you have a bedazzled leprechaun in your life?  What if you took a moment to create a plan? What would that look like, what would be the first step in creating your framework?

1 comment:

melissakhorton said...

I love that you just made me say "hmmm" at least 3 times....